Caltra Cuans 5-19 Leitirmor 2-6 Divison 2 League.

posted 9 May 2011, 11:24 by Caltra Cuans   [ updated 8 Jun 2011, 14:00 ]
Caltra Cuans kicked off their 2011 season with a good win over Lettermore in the first round of the Ladies Division 2 league in Caltra today. Playing with a very strong wind in the first half they built up a big lead by half time. Despite a much better showing by Lettermore in the second half Caltra Cuans ran out comfortable winners on a score of 5-19 to 2-6.
Caltra Team & Subs on the day:
Lucy Greens; Sinead Flood; Cariosa McHugh; Helen Cullinane; Aoife NiCheallaigh; Sarah Noone; Aine Tully; Laura Naughton; Ciara Kilroy; Breda Hanlon; Emma Naughton; Sinead Mannion; Teresa Loughnane; Orlaith Hannon and Aine Mannion. Subs Used: Lorraine Lally; Amy Lally; Megan Kelly; Nicole Conway and Sonya Mulryan. Other Subs: Brid Greene; Marie Greene; Carmel Hannon; Yvonne Hannon; Breda Heneghen; Lillian Hughes; Niamh Kilkenny; Orla Kilkenny and Sarah Pender.

Match Report.

By Conor Finnerty

The first round of the intermediate ladies football league took place in Caltra between Caltra Cuans ladies and Leitir Móir ladies on Sunday last. Leitir Móir greeted the All-Ireland Junior champions warmly before the game began. John Treacy from Kilconnell refereed the match. Caltra won the toss and decided to play with the breeze in the first half.

Caltra were the quickest out of the blocks and their corner forward Áine Mannion denied a goal in the first minute. The first blood was to Caltra Cuans as Orlaith Hannon stroked over a well worked point. Ciara Kilroy, Caltra Cuans midfielder, followed with another point. After Breda Hanlon sliced open the Leitir Móir defence with a mazy run she dispatched the ball to back of the net giving the goalkeeper no chance. Breda quickly followed up this goal with a point after a lovely pass from wing-back Aoife Ní Cheallaigh. Consistent pressure from the Caltra forwards kept the ball in the Leitir Móir half. The pressure resulted in a goal after a cross field kick from Orlaith Hannon which was gathered and slotted home by Sinéad Mannion.

This was a free flowing game of football and full of attacking play. After a hard working attack by Leitir Móir they were rewarded with a free. Philomena Ní Fhlatharta converted the simple free. But Caltra responded with a point of their own as Áine Mannion blasted over with the goal at her mercy. Áine then quickly followed this up with another point. With 15 minutes on the clock Philomena Ní Fhlatharta had an attempt on goal saved by Lucy Greene in the Caltra goal. Áine Mannion continued her superb display with two points in quick succession. This was followed by the score of the first half as tenacious play by Threse Loughnane as she dispossessed Leitir Móir in the Caltra half back line and continued her run to receive a pop pass from Áine Mannion which she popped over the bar. But Áine was not to be outdone as superb link up play resulted in another goal for Caltra Cuans. Link up play between Threse and Áine resulted in Áine scoring yet another point. Caltras centre forward Emma Naughton then scored a long range with ease. Caltras Sarah Noone then chipped in with a point of her own. Caltra pulled further ahead with a point from Emma Naughton after great running. Breda Hanlon the sliced open the defence again to blast over her second point. Leitir Móirs Philomena Ní Fhlatharta was then sin binned for a bad tackle on Caltra Cuans Ciara Kilroy. Áine Mannion missed the resulting free. But Emma Naughton compensated with a free just before half time. Leaving the half-time score at 3-14 to 0-1 in favour of Caltra Cuans ladies.

After a flurry of substitutions at half time the second half got under way. Caltra continued from where they left off in the first half. Áine Mannion was lucky to add to the score sheet after her attempted free struck the post but she gathered the loose ball and popped over another point. Megan Kelly a substitute for Threse Loughnane drilled over a point to open her account. But with the wind at their backs Leitir Móir flew out of the blocks and after two failed goal attempts Sarah Ní Loinsigh slotted over a point instead. Then Marie Ní Chuláin scored two points in quick succession. Serious pressure on the Caltra Cuans defence resulted in a stylish back heeled goal by Josephine Ní Chonghaile goal giving Lucy Greene no chance. Marie Ní Chuláin then added her second point to continue the Leitir Móir revival. Lorraine Lally, another half-tme substitute for Caltra Cuans, scored her first point to keep Caltra Cuans firmly in the driving seat. Caltras Ciara Kilroy drew a great save from Leitir Móirs goalkeeper Nora Uí Hogán. After a few hectic minutes of attacking play by Leitir Móir a foul was commited inside the area and John Treacy rightly awarded a penalty.  Josephine Ní Chonghaile bravely stepped up and took responsibility. She calmly struck the ball into the bottom corner sending Lucy Greene the wrong way. But Caltra Cuans never say die attitude inspired them onto close out the game. With Áine Mannion adding another point and Emma Naughton blasting the ball into the top corner of the net for a superb goal. A short 45 ended up in a free for Caltra Cuans which dropped short. But the clearance was driven over the bar by Laura Naughton. Caltra Cuans full-back Caríosa McHugh performed to great block downs to prevent certain scores in the closing minutes. Leitir Móirs Philomena Ní Fhlatharta intercepted a quick free and struck over the point to shorten the deficit. The last score of the game fell to Caltra Cuans star player Áine Mannion as she converted a free to bring her tally to 1-8. The game finished with Caltra Cuans ladies registering a convincing win of 5-19to                2-6.